Kobenhavn, Danmark !

This weekend marked one month of living here in Lithuania! What?! Time is flying by and its speeding up every day! This weekend we headed out on our second trip of the semester. It all started on Saturday morning. Super early Saturday morning. 3am to be exact. Actually, funny story, so we knew we had to get to bed early Friday night, but me and my roommate Madi are hardcore night owls. We rarely go to bed before 1am, so as we were laying in bed Friday night we both had our headphones in and after about an hour of tossing and turning I whisper yelled (does that make sense?) over to Madi "Madison! Can you not fall asleep either?" we both laughed and complained about how we weren't tired because it was only 11pm. We pep talked each other then rolled over and successfully fell asleep, only to be rudely awaken by our alarm a few hours later. I was stoked though. Our driver picked us up and we headed to the airport. We had a surprising fee to pay at check in which was kind of a bummer - 55 euro down the freaking drain - but its all good! We hopped on a quick flight to the beautiful city of Copenhagen!! Out of the few European cities Ive been to thus far, Copenhagen is most definitely my favorite - maybe because there were TONS of runners. I kid you not, they were everywhere, it was awesome! Also tons of bikers. The bike lanes in Copenhagen are just as big as the car lanes which is nice because everyone bikes. Instead of looking for cars before crossing the road you had to watch out for the bikers. Such a cool city. We didn't really have any plans. The little mermaid statue and the pretty canal was about the only thing on the to do list, but we did the usual walk around and find pretty things which seems to work well. 


Whenever there is an ocean nearby...thats where you'll find me. 








I touched the mermaid!






Seriously thee prettiest canal ever. We even spotted a cute little jelly fish in the canal and this man might have started laughing at me because I was so stoked about it. 






Ive seen pictures of this canal for years now and I can't even describe the feeling of visiting a place that you've seen in pictures for so long and actually seeing it in real life! Its an unreal feeling. Not that this canal has ever been top of my bucket list but its just so amazing to see these beautiful places in real life. Pretty much a dream come true - kinda cheesy but oh well. 



Random pictures. Second picture: me looking at something pretty and realizing I shouldn't even bother taking a picture because my phone sucks. 



First ever roomie - she's decent. 




This ones for you Dad!! So dang cool. The original Christus statue and the 12 apostles inside the Church of Our Lady. To be able to stand in front of this statue, the original that was carved in 1838, was pretty awesome. We spent some time in the church admiring the work and taking it all in. It was a good break from our busy day to rest and be able to feel the spirit in such a reverent, special area. I wasn't able to touch the Christus, but I did walk around and touch each apostle which is cool. Super cool experience. Thanks dad for the idea, for sure a hidden gem.   



Over priced gelato - always a good idea especially on a cold day


No better pictures to describe myself. This little guy had been washed up on the cobblestone, so I helped him on over to the dirt. Good deed of the day. 



Rosenborg Castle. Once the sun went down it got real chilly, windy and rainy. But if you have one day in copenhagen that doesn't stop you! It was actually so much fun. 




Pretty lights to end the night. We were cold and tired by the end of the day, but it was so worth it. Copenhagen - I would definitely come back! We walked a total of 12.3 miles saturday and it definitely felt like it. Maybe Im just out of shape, but my feet were sore and I was dead! 



Last but not least - actually maybe least. We took a night bus to our next location and it was pretty much the worst. So we got ready for bed in a local rec center then headed to the bus station. We waited in the cold rain for about 40 minutes. As we were getting in line for our bus we were surrounded by sketchy looking people. Im sorry for the judgment, but legit sketchy people. Luckily, we pushed our way to the front of the line and we all got window seats which meant maybe a little more sleep, but still not much. It was an 8 hour bus ride and the first half I was in and out of sleep which was frustrating because I was SO tired! Around 3am I had a cookie and a tortilla and contemplated using the bathroom but decided hard pass then I dozed off to a decent sleep. Finally! I woke up in STOCKHOLM and actually felt well rested woohoo. So I guess it wasn't a horrible experience - could've been a lot worse - but still not my favorite thing ever. But cheapest is best when traveling through Europe right?! Overall Copenhagen was amazing and I totally recommend. My 6th ever visited country! wootwoot. Much love from Denmark!


Comments

Popular Posts