You are what you drink?

This week was quite a busy week.  It was pretty much the last week of classes before finals week, so I was pretty busy getting in all my assignments, quizzes and my big ole 10 page paper.  I haven't gotten a grade for the paper yet, but Im just dang proud of myself that I actually finished writing a full 10 pages. It's kind of crazy to think Im wrapping up my first year of college.  It's been a lot easier than I imagined and I am definitely loving life right now.  Luckily, I don't really have any finals that Im worried about so the next thing on my list is getting ready for summer school!! I never thought I would be doing summer school, but I think it'll be good for me. SO this week was a lot of school and work. Friday, aka 4/20, was the start of the party.  I didn't have class till 11 which was the greatest thing ever. and then I headed to the Dixie track meet to cheer on my high school friends.  They did amazing as ever.  I sure do love watching the HS track meets. And since all of us innocent xc runners are big fans of 420 we just had to take a picture at exactly 4:20 on 4/20.  This is just one of the many reasons why xc kids are the coolest kids in school. 



Later that night, I met up with my dsu friends and we headed to the portugal the man concert.  We got there 30 minutes early which was a big mistake. The opening band, Deep Valley, was terrible. Probably the worst band Ive ever heard.  I know that's mean, but it was truly painful.  We suffered through their songs for about an hour before Portugal the man came out.  To be honest, they weren't that great either.  Ive been to a few different concerts and this one was probably the worst, but I also think the burns arena makes it hard to hear the music.  It was super hard to hear the lyrics, but even the stuff I did hear wasn't that great.  Still fun to chill with friends and listen to some live music though.  After the concert, we stopped at taco bell and maverick for some candy and energy drinks (It was gonna be a killer night). Then we met up with some guys and played sand volleyball till around 12:30. 





After almost being robbed, we decided to leave the volleyball courts and head to my house.  Let me just say, parks are kinda sketchy after midnight. So we got to my house and watched wonder. Cutest movie ever. We ate our sour gummy worms and airhead bites so that we could stay awake.  The night slowly faded into morning and around 4am we left for zion!  Quite a few of my friends have never been to zion and they've lived here almost a year! so I decided we needed to change that. We got to zion around 5am and the best dad in the world dropped us off at the grotto, or the angels landing trailhead.  Since the shuttles are running, we weren't able to just park at the trailhead, but luckily my dad loves zion enough to drop us off at 5. We had our headlamps and not a lot of energy but we started the ascent. Even pitch black, zion is still so pretty.  The silhouettes of the mountains in front of the starry sky was so dang amazing.  Some of the girls might've complained about the cold, or how early it was, but I kept reassuring them it would be worth it. Half way up, we cracked open the Rockstar. Ive never had an energy drink so I was actually excited to try it out, but I haven't had soda in over 6 years so I wasn't quite sure how it would sit.  It wasn't too bad so I actually drank a lot of it (It came to haunt me later in the day). Once we got past scouts lookout it got super windy, but we pressed on. Zion was slowly being lit up and the mountains were coming into view!  After climbing the chains, we all safely made it to the top, thank goodness.  So insanely beautiful.


Pre-hike bathroom break


My breakfast







It's one of my favorite things to start a hike or run in the dark and to watch the sun slowly rise! We might've all been dead tired, but look at that view! Totally worth it, plus we were the only ones up there. On the way down we had to pass the hundreds of crowds of people that were making there way up.  All of them would see us and say "Dang what time did you guys wake up?" we would say "4am" then we would laugh and say "We actually never went to bed" haha. Everyone looked at us like we were crazy. They aren't wrong, that's for sure.  I figure though, if you want to see zion its one thing to go in the middle of the day like everyone else, but it's way more awesome to wake up early and see it in the most quiet times of the morning when no one else is there. Everyone enjoyed the early morning hike and I would definitely say I was the best tour guide ever.  


After racing to the bottom, we hopped on the shuttle, and drove home. At this point, the last time I had slept was friday morning around 9am so I was legit functioning off of the rockstar and gummy worms. The girls dropped me and sara off at the dixie track meet so that we could watch the 3200m race. Dhills girls kicked butt. Also this all nighter adventure got me thinking about how much we could do if we never had to sleep! I mean I love sleeping, but how nice would it be if our bodies could function without sleep and we could just go non-stop 24 hours a day. Kinda weird to think about how much me and friends did in one night, when usually we are sleeping those hours. Anyways, went home and hung out with the family by the pool for a few hours.  Finally around 3pm I took a nap. I woke up around 5:30 and I was trashed. I was dizzy, my stomach was being ripped to shreds by the energy drink and I was even more tired than before. Great. I guess that's what I get, but like I said before, it was worth it. I ate some dinner which helped a bunch.  I got ready and hung out with shawnee the rest of the night. We started our snow cone challenge for the summer.  Last summer we weren't able to complete the challenge so this is round two. Our goal is to try every flavor of snow cone and with each snow cone we take an ugly selfie. So by the end of the summer, we have a collection of ugly snow cone pictures and the satisfaction of tasting every flavor. So here's to the first of many ugly snowcone selfies. 


Comments

Popular Posts