Fun in the sun

Back in 2018 I took a summer class - physiology. I swore I would never take another summer class again. Well here I am taking not just a term of classes but two terms or a full semester of classes for my bachelors program this summer. I start next monday so I had about a week of summer... and I lived it up.


Dad and I started out the week with a beautiful day in Zion. We decided to trek up North Guardian Angel. I did this back in high school with a couple of friends and really all I remembered was how awesome it was. Dad has been wanting to do it for awhile but it is pretty daunting... well we finally did it. 


Yes, this was the goal. Told ya... super cool, but also a little nerve-racking looking at that peak. 



We made it! Its a fun time scrambling up the rock with an incredible view and figuring out which route looked the safest haha. At the top dad says "I cant even enjoy the view because Im too worried about the way back down!" haha Not gonna lie Im not sure how I did it back in high school with just a couple of stupid boys and no gear... like I said I just remember how awesome it was. 



Dad was smart and brought his rope. So instead of sliding down on my bum it was kind of fun to just walk down the side of this mountain holding onto the rope. 



I don't think Dad liked me after this hike, but thats ok. On the way down he also said "I thought I would die on an adventure with Troy, not my daughter!!" haha. Sorry dad. Well NGA can officially be checked off the bucket list! 


And the best surprise was drew called me while we were at the top. I answered the phone and showed him where we were... his response "Oh now that makes me trunkie!" Soon enough he'll be home and I cant wait. 


We made it back safely and dad showed me main street cafe in Hurricane. Yummy small town place. 


Lots of track meets and baseball games this week! Jackie looking good after hitting a new PR!


Wednesday night spent out on the Jem trail system!


Me and landon after getting up the more cowbell trail. It was a windy evening of mountain biking, but it felt good to get a gnarly 12 mile ride in. 



And a nice 10-miler the next morning out to little black mountain. I love a chill long trail run in the middle of nowhere by myself - People are always so shook when I tell them I don't run with earphones/music. I feel like I am listening to music 24/7 and I enjoy the quiet running gives me. I enjoy the time I have to think. I get to clear my head, think about my goals, and sometimes I seriously talk to myself. maybe thats weird, but I like it. At about mile 6 I turned a corner to see that I was being stared down by a momma cow and thoughts of what I would do if she started to charge me ran through my head. Luckily she didnt, but I was a little nervous. And around mile 7 I hit my toe into a rock so dang hard, almost completely biffed it. So this will come into play later in the week but I pretty much knew that I had broken my toenail. Fun run haha. 


And an epic reunion with my DSU friends! The Habit is our go to and has been since the beginning. We haven't all been together for over three years! Fun to catch up with my running friends and see where life has taken all of them. 


Saturday morning.. at the glorious time of 0250 my alarm went off. Dad, jack and I met up with the Kwells fam and mason to help volunteer for the Ironman! This year St. George held the 2021 world championship for 140.6. 



Fun morning of holding signs, meeting the athletes, watching the sunrise over sand hallow and hanging out with family and friends! The troy getting ready to wreck the competition. 


As I lead my age group into the water I seriously felt like I was leading them into battle. They were all nervously silent and I didnt know whether to be excited for them or feel bad for them haha. It was also fun to speak to the ladies who were 55+ and had done a million ironmans in their lifetime. there are some tough people out there - thats for sure. The rest of the day I was shot. 2:50 is not an ok hour to wake up at. We were planning on riding our bikes into town to watch the pros finish, but instead we watched the live stream in the comfort of our basement. 


Jack has almost got me... I would say the next time I see him he will be taller than me. Little bros aren't so little anymore :,)


And finally... after three years of giving people rides to hike/run my favorite trail and not being healthy enough to join them... Im back!! This makes me so happy. Somedays I still cant believe that Im back running again. #treeposeonatree



We did 12.5 miles on West Rim and it was the most perfect morning. But ya know when I stubbed my toe a couple days ago... well I really irritated it while doing 12 miles on a rocky trail. So we called up our neighbor and he quickly got me in...


Thank you Dr. Reber for removing my toenail - I guess this is my "welcome back to long distance running." I am now back up north and Im actually really excited to be up here. It was a fun "summer break" but now its time to get back on the grind. In other updates: Im still waiting on a start date for my job and still waiting on a date to take my NCLEX. so wish me luck! 



And how could I forget mothers day! These are some of my favorite pictures ever^. Thank you Mom for everything. From being one of my biggest supporters, teaching me to be independent and hard working, pushing me to be my best in all I do, listening to me rant/cry on the phone, leading me by example to have a stronger testimony, and being my best friend. Low-key Ive always been grateful to not have a sister so that me and my mom could be this close. Love you mom. 
 

Comments

Popular Posts