The storm before the calm

 This week was a rough one if I'm being honest, but I totally brought it upon myself. I guess when I booked all my trips and scheduled myself to work five 12 hour shifts in a row - I thought I was tougher than I actually am. I also forgot to take into consideration the fact that I had a final presentation due, a midterm and some other assignments. ALSO didnt know that I was going to get sick this week which was just a cherry on top. BUT I have survived and came out on the other side of this not so fun week. so since all I really did was work this week Ill tell ya about some of my fun patients... we were freakishly busy this week. Monday through thursday we were room for room. Whenever we discharged someone, there was already a line of patients ready to be admitted. On top of waking up sick monday morning, I was welcomed with a full load of tough patients. One of my patients has very severe lewy body dementia. The first day was tiring. Changing him every couple hours, feeding him and so forth - just very time consuming when you have three other people to take care of. But I was glad to have him back the second day. He would get fixated on saying the same thing over and over again for about five minutes at a time then he would forget. Tuesday morning he kept saying "Hello down south" and I just thought it was so funny. One of my other guys at this same time was bleeding ferociously out of his nose all day. I kept telling the doctors about it and finally around 4pm I drew a CBC from him and his hemoglobin came back at 6.8. I ended my shift giving him some blood which is always super fun. I had a ton of awesome family members this week that were so gracious which was nice considering the hectic week I was having. It feels good to know my patients and their families appreciate the care Im giving and it motivates me to keep it up. 


I worked normal day shifts the first two days and then I worked 11am to 11:30pm the rest of the week... so I got to work with my favorite clerk - Crystal. I stole her glasses and caught her off guard with this picture - Im still her favorite though. Well thats a little glimpse into my work week... then saturday morning I was up early for...


General conference! First time for me and it was awesome. This is my friend Karee from my ward, she just happened to have two tickets and I was the lucky one she picked to come with her. I really enjoyed being there in real life. When President Nelson walked in the whole building became silent. My eyes kind of teared up - it was just surreal being in the same room as all the apostles and the prophet.... pretty special spirit there. After conference we hit up some lunch and then I had an appointment to get to. 


Facial time! I got home around 5pm and started laundry and some cleaning. Finally around 7:30 pm I started my midterm paper. Wrote the paper for the next few hours and finished around 11pm. BUSY day but I got everything done - holla. 


And now BACK ON THE ROAD. Headed south to stg for a day and then flying off to the next stop. Glad to make it through this chaotic week and hopefully have a nice calm week ahead. See you guys so soon!!!

Comments

Popular Posts