The 13th commandment

oh man, this week has been fun. I mean look at this picture...


If this picture doesn't scream FUN or I LOVE MY JOB then I don't know what does. Ok but on the reals - my last clinical shift of the semester :,) I was assigned night shift labor and delivery at LDS hospital. It really was cool you guys. This picture just happened to be taken at a really slow part of the night and I was just ready for bed (3am). BUT we were welcomed on shift with a couple mommas that were really close to having their babies! One of them gave birth with in the first hour of the shift and it was incredible. That was the first time I had seen a baby being born and dang. The miracle of life - seriously the coolest thing ever. I walked into the room and the minute they pull back the sheet from the mom I could see everything! Everything as in the literal babies head coming out! We held the baby in for another probably 5 or so minutes until the doctor got there. And with 2 pushes a sweet baby girl was born. The doctor was so nice and showed me everything and answered all my questions. Im sure most people would've passed out seeing the things I did, but I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. No better way to learn than hands on experience. I also realized how not nasty this field was. I feel like OBGYN has this stigma of eww why would anyone want to go into that?! Well surprisingly enough I had a thought of possibly being a women's health NP. I denied the thought and was like "eww no gross" but, after this L&D shift I am definitely considering the idea. The rest of the night I got to help with a foley placement, give some shots to newborns, watch another delivery and the most boring thing ever... watch fetal heart rate monitors! This is why I looked the way I did in that ^ picture. Once the two moms had their babies, the other moms weren't really close so all we did was watch monitors, chart and give meds every three hours. The night goes by very slow when there is nothing to do, that's for sure. But I made it, I did enjoy it and I even got home safely! That shift was the last thing standing in between me and St. George!! 





Fast forward to thursday morning... Thanksgiving!! yes we are a turkey trot family and I love it. 
Dad, Jack, George and Evan ran the 10k and all crushed it. We even got to see Thee conner mantz (NCAA XC champion from BYU) win the 5k race. He barely nudged out Kale gosh dang it haha. 


Then off to DSU pool for some swimming with the family. More like sitting in the hot tub and jumping off the high dive once. The pool is too cold for me... no thank you! 


Woohoo and this is what thanksgiving is all about - good food!! Not really, but its a plus. Everything was delicious and I am oh so grateful for my family. The highlight of any family gathering though (in my opinion) - the piano duets. I think all of us could sit in the front room all day long listening to mom and jeremy pound out some tunes. 



Me trying to get a selfie with seth - this is what all pictures with seth look 
like if anyone was wondering. 


We also hit up the bowling alley thursday afternoon. It opened at 5:00 pm and we got there at 5:02. It was so busy we waited till 6:15 to get a lane. At first I felt bad for bowling on thanksgiving and making people work because I thought we'd be the only ones there... I was definitely wrong. Sethy crushed us as usual. 



Came home, watched christmas movies, and seth made me make spicy chicken and waffles. Well dad was nice enough to make the waffles. Not gonna lie - it hit the spot. So happy thanksgiving from the Wells'. Grateful for much, but I think you guys already knew that. Friday was spent shopping obviously. Me and the boys hit up some shops and went out to lunch. Really though, didnt take too long, because the town was way too busy for my liking. Mom and dad got to spend the day razor riding with some friends which looked like fun. 


Bahama bucks with the bros. Friday was also some intense pickle balling with friends. Probably the funnest games Ive ever played. Good times and it makes me so happy to see the courts completely full in the middle of november. I just love how we can be outside in good weather literally all year round in stg. And speaking of good weather - the next morning we hiked Observation Point! I was so dang excited to finally get to zion after a few months! 0430 wake up call, 7 mile hike and a beautiful sunrise. 














The best thing ever - Jack thought I was taking a picture of his shadow. NOPE, caught him! 
His form is a 10/10 if you ask me. 


And at this point he knew a very embarrassing picture of him would now be on my blog forever. 
It is always a a good idea to get to Zion and Im so glad I was able to make some time for it this quick trip. We had Observation point all to ourselves and it wasnt windy at all which is very rare. Such a beautiful morning to enjoy with family and reflect on the things in life that Im grateful for and that bring me happiness. Im grateful for my love of documenting through pictures, blogging or journaling. Im grateful for the experiences Ive been given that have brought me closer to my savior and have strengthened my testimony of Him. Im grateful for the people in my life who are willing to be there for me when I need them most. Im grateful for the love and concern I feel for others and the way I am able to apply that in my future career. Im grateful for Jesus Christ and his willingness to atone for all of us so that we can recover from our sins, sorrows, and pains of this world. Im also grateful for the little things... sweet letters from my roommates, song recommendations from a new friend, my minky blanket, smoothies, my working car, sunny days, good dairy free ice cream, awesome institute teachers, memories, grandparents, missionaries, hot tubs and so so much more. I think its sometimes fun to think of all the little things you are grateful for that you usually just take for granted. And to end I found this quote "Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home and a stranger into a friend." amen to that.
Oh wait I literally have to tell the story of why this blog is named the way it is. So to begin... y'all this is my fourth thanksgiving post and I cant just keep coming up with different gratitude or thanksgiving titles so I thought this would be a different yet funny title. So we were driving home from somewhere this week listening to music... well dad was skipping through some songs and next up a Justin Bieber song came on. I made sure he did NOT skip it! I then proceeded to say something like this... Its a sin to skip a jb song. Its like the 13th commandment - Thou shalt not skip a justin bieber song. I thought I was funny right? Funniest part... dad says "what are the 11th and 12th commandments laynee?" hahah blonde moment ok guys. I thought there were 12 commandments - my bad. So there ya have it. OH wait that just brought up another funny story that I HAVE to document. OK to set the scene... we are at the DSU pool. Me, dad and some others are in the hottub, Jack is walking up on the high dive. Well jack was about to do something cool so he wanted dad to watch obviously, but jack is literally blind. So he is up on the high dive and he looks down at the general area of the hottub and says "Is there a Spencer down there?" We were all kind of confused because obviously dad was right here and we weren't sure what he was necessarily asking. Didn't take us long to realize and start laughing at the fact jack is so blind he couldn't see dad. He does a pretty epic back flip and dad goes "Good job jack, Im giving you a thumbs up, you cant see it but I am" haha. we think we are funny. Sorry for the long paragraph sheesh. If you actually read this whole paragraph text me the word "popcorn" lol lets see who actually reads and who just looks at pictures. Ok I think thats all for this week. xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts