GERMSQUAD

This weekend was a trip that we've been looking forward to for forever - and it did not disappoint. It actually blew all my expectations out of the water. Germany is beautiful and it has some of the nicest people (our bus driver let us on for free:') its the little things that can make us happy right?) As usual our travels started in the early hours of saturday morning. This time around it was only 4 of us which was new. I constantly felt like we were missing someone, but we had a good time even with our smaller group. First stop was the Vilnius airport which is practically our second home. Pretty sure we could make it to our gate with our eyes closed. We landed in Munich, Germany and immediately set out on a train to take us a couple hours away into the country. The train ride was amazing! I could've just sat on the train all day and rode around the country, but lucky us we got off in Fussen and headed towards the Neuschwanstein Castle. I believe this castle is the inspiration for the sleeping beauty castle... not sure, but it was breathtaking!! It sits on a pretty steep hill in the mountains looking over the city and it seriously looks fake. Walking around this beaut made me feel like I was in a movie. There were a few ways of getting up to the castle: 1. walking about 40 minutes up the steep hill 2. a shuttle bus for 3 euro 3. A "horse drawn carriage" for 6 euro. You better believe we went big and paid  to be carried up the hill in a horse drawn carriage. It was pretty awesome - lowkey made us feel stupid, but I say it was worth it. Who else can say they rode a horse carriage up to the famous germany castle? 





First thing we did once we made it to the castle - bought some pretzels. 









We hiked up to this bridge with the best view of the castle - TOLD YOU it looks fake!!









happy girl in a ridiculously, unreal place.



Southern Germany is where its at! I would go back in a heartbeat. After staring at this beaut for awhile we decided to hike back down and walk around the lake - also beautiful. I spotted some ducks and I had a backpack full of food so I was generous and gave them some of my tortillas. To my surprise these ducks came up right next to me without any hesitation and took the tortilla right out of my hands. Ive never met more friendly, trusting ducks in my life. Spent some time relaxing with our new little friends. 


lol we thought we were being funny. I loved hearing german. lots of words that end in -dorf which was fun. 












If only it was summer... I would've jumped in! Awesome trip and the best travel buds. My favorite weekend trip by far. A perfect balance between staying busy and taking good breaks. And this was only day one!! Our second day was spent in northern Germany - Berlin. And you guessed it... we took a night bus to get there. Night bus has become a swear word around here, but this one wasn't too bad. I miraculously slept a solid six hours. Yep, SIX HOURS! It was amazing. Of course Id rather have a bed, but wow I loved that night bus. First stop in Berlin - McDonalds. Also our second home. We visited a few memorials throughout the day including a holocaust memorial and of course the Berlin Wall. I feel so lame not knowing the whole background on the Berlin Wall - definitely need to brush up on my history - but I was able to eavesdrop on a couple tour guides which was nice. But now Ive touched the Berlin Wall - kinda cool. Super cool to visit all these historical places and think back to when it was actually happening and realize how real it is. 




The holocaust memorial - not sure the inspiration behind this but it was a ton of huge concrete blocks that made a maze. It was super trippy to walk through it. Maybe this is disrespectful of us, but we may have played hide'n go seek through the maze. There were tons of kids playing tag though, so I think we're fine. 



cool quote I found. 



Berlin wall and Charlies checkpoint. I think charlie's checkpoint was the main spot where people crossed from the other side of the wall. Once again, I need to brush up on history. 


As we were researching things to do, we realized that Berlin was home to one of the biggest and most popular Zoo and Aquariums. Once I heard aquarium, I was in. We spent the afternoon walking around the zoo. It was crazy because the animals were surrounded by motes/ditches so that the fence in between us and the mote was seriously a foot high. I felt like I was so dang close to the animals. maybe I just haven't been to a zoo in awhile (since living in KY) but this place was rad. The aquarium was definitely the highlight though. Three stories tall of sharks, spiders, snakes and everything in between. Pretty much heaven for me. 






Maybe its lame we spent the afternoon at the zoo, but Im not mad. We actually headed home that night, which was so nice because we got to sleep in our own beds!! Loved loved loved Germany. Most definitely cracked the top 5. This world is so amazing and it makes me so happy and grateful to see how much Ive been able to see and experience in these past four months. Time is running out and Im just trying to enjoy every single moment I have out here on this European continent. Much love from GERMANY<3

Comments

Popular Posts