Finally... Summer!

 Overall this week has been a pretty good one. There is still snow on the mountains, but hey it's finally warm in the valley. Hallelujah. Im not sure if I can last another winter up here - they are quite literally the longest and most miserable months. I am very happy for it to be warm again. I really do feel like life is put back into my soul when it's warm and sunny. I will say it makes going to work a lot more difficult. Who wants to be stuck inside for 12 hours when ya could be laying out getting a tan?! 


This week I was able to spend lots of time with my friends - which also makes living up here bearable. I honestly was planning on going back to stg for Memorial Day weekend, but I had so many friends in town that I actually didn't want to leave. Madi was in the area multiple times this week so she stopped by and had some Sunday dinner last week and spent the evening outside on the walking trails. 


Monday morning I talked to this goober. He's about at his year mark which is just a little crazy. His year mark of his mission marks my year mark of NP school, also crazy. I aced my midterm this week which was nice considering just a few days prior I was checking to make sure I would still pass the class if I had gotten a zero on the test ahah. 


Memorial Day was spent with the girls - literally all day long. It was so fun. We headed up big cottonwood canyon to hike an alpine lake trail up at Brighton - well like I said there is still snow in the mountains. We pull into the parking lot ready to hike while every other person in the parking lot was strapping on skies and snowboards. Yep, still way to snowy to hike all the way up there so we headed a little bit back down the canyon and found a different trail. We ate some jersey mikes sandwiches and walked around for a bit. It was honestly still a muddy and snowy trail so we didn't end up going far, but it was fun to get up the mountain and enjoy the nice weather. 



stopped for snow cones on our way home - they were 10/10. 


No more pictures from the rest of the day, but we headed to Karee's aunts to lay out by the pool then we grabbed take out (pupusas) from a sketchy el Salvadorian place. Sketch place, but pretty decent food. Then off to the movies. We saw "Fall Guy" with Ryan gosling and it was a pretty hilarious movie. I haven't seen Jess in a few months and really haven't had time to hang with karee either, so Monday was a good day. 


Tuesday was mostly homework and errand type of day with a little intermission of pickle ball with Madi. Once again, just nice to get out in the sunshine. 


Wednesday was back to work, but also texting and FaceTiming loopy Jackie. He would mimic/make fun of things Seth and drew did while after wisdom teeth surgery. Oh and can't forget he quoted Emily while she was drugged as well haha. He's doing well and also found out this week he has to have another surgery next week to repair the hole in his ear. Poor kid, but hopefully getting it all done now will pay off so he won't have to worry about it again. Work this week was super busy the first three days. I received my crazy opioid dependent patient back for the first couple of days and then I also got a grumpy old patient who really tested my patience. He pretty much did everything I told him not to do. If I told him it was time to get out of bed - he wouldn't. But when I told him to call when he wants to get out of bed - he wouldn't he would just get up by himself. Anyways, he was definitely one that made it hard to come back the next day, but I did it. 


Saturday he was my only patient and it was a super chill day - we haven't had a chill day in awhile so this was much needed. We had 7 patients and discharged 2. We ended up with 5 patients and 4 nurses. So this is me starting and completing my project I had in school this week. Kind of nice to every once in awhile be able to get homework done on day shift. 


Amongst the four work days I still made it to the gym a couple times with Kels. This day I actually ran two whole miles on the treadmill without stopping. (I hate the treadmill so this is a win) I even did a workout type run so it felt good to do a little progression the second mile. I don't usually sweat if I just weight lift, but when I get a run in before Im always a sweaty mess. 


Last but not least for the week - Saturday night with Jess. We tried a new taco place in Lehi "Smoked Taco" pretty dang good. Then literally talked and watched a show till 2am at her parents place. Oh and she showed me her new hair extensions as seen above. Jess and I talked last night about all the things that have happened to lead up to us being friends. And honestly a lot of it in the moment seemed like awful things. For instance me not getting into DSU's nursing program - it sucked and made me wonder why I wasn't good enough. Well that took me to moving up north. Being friends with shawnee led me to being roommates with Jess and Ashley. A breakup with a boyfriend and a faded friendship left me to lean on Jesse and Ashley and led to a great friendship. We all moved to The Green where Ashley met her husband. And now Im at the VA?! who woulda thought and Jesse works for freaking Delta?! We were just talking about how cool life is and how god is in every detail of our lives. Everything happens for a reason and even though in the moment it feels so confusing and difficult - it's so awesome to see that result in a life you would never have planned on. SO yeah, grateful for Jesse and the things we have been through to lead to our friendship. Speaking of other things Im grateful for, today marks two years since I took my NCLEX which is crazy. Still probably the worst day of my life, but Im grateful for the opportunities my education and my job have given me, for the things I have learned about others and myself and for the way I get to continually apply attributes of christ into my life such as loving and caring for those in need (even if they are difficult patients). I still complain about going to work every week and I threaten to call out sick, but in the end I do feel blessed to do what I do and I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. Well, I think blogs should be pretty entertaining from here on out for the summer... yay! I love summer time!


Comments

Popular Posts